In this video workshop Brian will discuss the unique features and inter-functionality of the cervical spine, including the vertebra, disks, ligaments, joints and nerves. He will explain the co-occurring issues of swelling, calcification and compression that cause most neck problems, including arthritis and chronic headaches. Learn the basic yoga movements that can be applied to assist with almost every neck issue and feel empowered to help anyone get relief from pain.
After this course you will understand:
- The Anatomy and inter-functionality of the parts of the spine, including the vertebra, disks, ligaments, joints and nerves
- The concept of “dynamic ligaments” in a therapeutic practice
- The relationship between swelling, calcification and compression
- Why we get more rigid as we age, and our potential for changing postural misalignments later in life.
- The unique structures of the first two cervical vertebra – C1 & C2 – and their connection to the skull and brain.
- A major cause of headaches and how to help people with them
- Why proper neck alignment is necessary for physical, mental and spiritual wellbeing.
- Yoga movements that can be applied to assist with almost every neck issue
|Module 1||Handout: Yoga Therapy for Neck Pain|
|Unit 1||Handout: Neck Pain|
|Module 2||Video Lecture: Yoga Therapy for Neck Pain|
|Unit 1||Video Lecture: Yoga Therapy for Neck Pain with Brian Dorfman - Part 1|
|Unit 2||Group Practice: Neck Pain|
|Unit 3||Video Lecture: Yoga Therapy for Neck Pain with Brian Dorfman - Part 2|
|Module 3||Asana Practice: Yoga Therapy for Neck Pain|
|Unit 1||Asana Practice: Yoga Therapy for Neck Pain|
|Module 4||Quiz: Yoga Therapy for Neck Pain|
|Unit 1||Quiz: Yoga Therapy for Neck Pain|
The Relationship Between Headaches and Cervical Spine Alignment with Brian Dorfman
The spinal column shrinks with age as it loses elasticity and hydration and can result in improper alignment. This is most prevalent in the cervical spine which can become compressed and mis-aligned over time. This mis-alignment can lead to swelling and headaches. How can Yoga therapy practices increase movement and bring relief in this area?
Full Asana Practice
Learning Comes to Life!
The workshop material comes to life in a full Yoga Therapy Class for the Cervical Spine. You will learn special adaptations, specific cues and sequencing to bring into your group Yoga classes or private student sessions.
Brian Dorfman has been treating patients and teaching for over 25 years. He has extensive knowledge and instructional ability in the areas of kinesiology, anatomy, physiology and the biomechanics of movement. Since 1985, Brian has maintained his own injury rehabilitation practice and is an internationally recognized healer. His ability to treat injuries has made him indispensable among Olympic and professional athletes, including national and world record holders in a number of different sports.
In addition to his hands-on healing work, Brian is also a Master yoga teacher specializing in the therapeutic application of yoga. He has over 20 years experience offering group classes and private instruction. Influenced by TVK Desikachar, Brian’s instruction focuses on helping the student develop a personalized, balanced practice. He incorporates asana, pranayama, sound and meditation to create an environment for the student’s innate wisdom to develop.